Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chris Nolan: Finding High Quality Info on the Web

On Thursday October 28, Chris Nolan, Assistant University Librarian, came and gave a detailed presentation on finding academic information and sources on the internet. I learned how Google uses 250 characteristics to rank web pages. I was unaware of the keys that google used to rank web pages. The keys include: how often its cited, how often a web site is used, if sites link to other sites, if its a reputable source, and blogs. I was surprised to find that Google is used only 66% of the time for online searches. I figured it had to be at least at 75%. Additionally, I was unaware how the top 100 searches in Google could vary drastically from the top 100 in Yahoo. The image below points to this discrepancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment